Early Learning Services
The Early Learning Services Department provides a variety of services for young children, families, districts and community stake holders within Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey and San Benito Counties. The department includes Head Start, Early Head Start, State Preschool, the Inclusion Collaborative (children with disabilities in early care and education), the Local Early Education Planning Council (LPC), California Preschool Instructional Network (CPIN) and Transitional Kindergarten. The department also leads early learning efforts for the office, such as the Santa Clara County Early Learning Master Plan, Educare of California at Silicon Valley and statewide strategic planning efforts for transitional kindergarten. Vision, mission and guiding principles.
Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities
- County Board supplements Head Start funding (News Release)
Reports and Presentations
- Inclusion Collaborative Wins
Hoffman Award (March 2013)
- Santa Clara County Early Learning Initiatives (CAEYC Annual Conference, March 2013)
- Using Formative Assessment to Differentiate Instruction in Transitional Kindergarten
- Head Start/Early Head Start Annual Report (2011-2012)
- Inclusion Collaborative Newsletter (Spring 2013)
- Early Learning Master Plan: Building Early Success with Ready Schools (November 2012)
- Early Learning Master Plan Family Engagement Presentation to FIRST 5 Santa Clara County Commission (November 2012)
- Inclusion Collaborative Annual Report (2011-12)
- Early Learning Presentation for Women's Equality Day Luncheon (August 2012)
- An Overview of TK California (August 2012)
- Early Learning Partners Board Presentation: Overview (June 2012)
- Early Learning Partners Board Presentation: FIRST 5 Santa Clara County (June 2012)
- Inclusion Collaborative Person First – Terminology Pledge of Respect
- Archived Documents
- California Preschool Instructional Network (CPIN)
- Head Start - Early Head Start
- Inclusion Collaborative
- Local Planning Council
- State Preschool (formerly referred to as Parkway Child Development)
- Transitional Kindergarten
The California Preschool Instructional Network (CPIN)CPIN is an initiative designed to close the "preparation gap" for 3- to 5-year-old children, including English learners and children with special needs, by providing professional development, technical assistance and support to preschool education instructors and administrators. The SCCOE houses Region 5 CPIN, which serves Santa Clara, Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz counties.
Head Start-Early Head StartThe Head Start-Early Head Start Program provides comprehensive services, family support and a high-quality educational curriculum to help young children develop preschool competence to prepare them for kindergarten.
Inclusion CollaborativeThe Inclusion Collaborative ensures that children with disabilities and special needs have equal access to full participation in inclusive learning and community environments through advocacy, access, support, professional development and screening/assessment coordination.
Local Planning CouncilThe Local Early Education Planning Council brings together parents, community members, government representatives and providers to assess local child care needs; set local priorities for state and federal funds; affect public policy decisions regarding early education and before- and after-school programs; and develop networks of support to coordinate local child care services.
State Preschool ProgramThe State Preschool Program provides state-subsidized full- and half-day preschool services to 700 low-income children, ages 18 months to 5 years old, at five locations in San Jose.
Date last updated: May 24, 2013